Search This Blog

Monday, September 22, 2008

Resentment

There is an uprising. Not everyone is pleased with the trillion dollar bail out.

There are two sides of the equation, the lenders and those who signed the dotted line.

The sentiment is simply this - why should either be bailed out at my expense particularly if I am playing by the longstanding rules and living within my means.

WaPo: A Sense of Resentment Amid the 'For Sale' Signs
"I'm not overextended," Merkle said. "I didn't buy a large home that I can't afford. I'm not behind on any of my payments. I'm not sure I want the government to take my tax dollars and buy someone else's house for them."

Kevin Newman, 42, knows how hard up people can get. He owns Ace Pawn, in a shopping center on Route 28 next to a newly vacant Checkers fast-food outlet. Newman spends his day lending money to people. He sees them at their most desperate. From a back room he pulls out a brand-new, sparkling Rickenbacker guitar that someone had gotten for his birthday and pawned just weeks later. His shop is filled with precious jewelry that people surrendered for cash. He had a customer -- he won't say who -- who pawned a Washington Redskins Super Bowl ring.

No comments: