Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

Finding New Earths

If there's one thing that the future holds that is in the realm of absolutely amazing, it would be the discovery of another earth-like planet.

A new study raises the possibility of this occurring.

I hope it happens in my lifetime. We need something that would turn our collective attentive away from our preoccupied collective self indulgence and move it towards something more dynamic and challenging. Something that will move humanity away from the thick clogging muck of its present worldly activity.

CS Monitor: Other Earths? A new estimate raises the odds of finding them.
A new estimate predicts that for every four sun-like stars, one should host at least one planet with anywhere from one-half to twice Earth's mass.


The Kepler spacecraft, which was launched in March 2009 and trails Earth in its orbit around the sun, is designed to detect Earth-size planets in "life-friendly orbits" around distant stars.


...the team calculated that 23 percent of sun-like stars should host an Earth-size planet.


The vast majority of extrasolar planets found so far have been so-called hot Jupiters – massive planets whose orbit times often are measured in a handful of days.

3 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

Even if we find another earth with present technology we'll never be able to reach it. We have another possible habitable planet though near by MARS. We should immediately send a 1 way team to Mars to set up house. I 'll volunteer!

Jim Sande said...

Go GK - There's must be a sign up somewhere. I would like to spend my later years gardening, but not on Mars!

Glynn Kalara said...

I would go gladly. It would be an honor to even be picked. I've had my kids so I'm not worried about having my gonads fried by the solar breeze and it's better then wasting away on Earth watching the Regressives like Sarah Palin and the rest of the tea party morons take over slowly.