Search This Blog

Friday, January 01, 2010

Welcome To 2010


It occurs that most New Year's resolutions are of the psychological type.

People want to be happier, or more complete, or sexier, or less afraid. This of course goes along with everyone's wish for that 5 million dollar check to show up in the mail.

If it has already showed up then please consider making a contribution to -

Just kidding....

So there we have it. Its a new year and with it comes this wide open potential for excellent activity and all that is less than excellent activity.

Who am I kidding, if 2010 shapes up to be like any one of the years in the past decade than I am staying under the covers in the bomb shelter out in the high mountains.

Seriously part of the exuberance of a new year is simply getting the abomination behind us.

That is not a cheery thought and so enough of that.

Returning to the theme of psychological resolutions, I think people can be very hard on themselves. Lighten up man or woman. I will try to do the same, although I suffer from chronic heaviness.

Regardless let's kick this sucker off with a few words of wisdom from author James Hollis. In this quote Hollis makes it simple. He says we have all screwed up, all of us, screwed up gloriously, magnificently, so many wrong turns that its unbearable. Okay. So the next step is get over it, we all did it, we are supposed to do that.
"Perhaps this self-esteem business is overrated. A person with high self-esteem is often one with a narcissistic personality disorder whose whole persona is devoted to hiding from others his or her secret emptiness. Anyone with a modicum of consciousness and a mild dollop of integrity will be able to enumerate a very long list of screw-ups, shortcomings, betrayals, moments of cowardice and generalized incompetence. Anything less than a very long list suggests either an undeveloped awareness or an act of great self-deception."

4 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

So true. The whole self-esteem thing is way overrated . Whats really needed out here is a bit more in the way of modesty particularly from Gov't officials and Corp. people.

Jim Sande said...

Not a shred of humility among the whole miserable lot.

Glynn Kalara said...

Thats the word I meant, humility not modesty. Excuse that usage but I most of been having a as they call it a "senior moment."

Jim Sande said...

In my case I call it a grey haired moment. I think the writing helps a little bit because now when I have conversations with people on the topics we discuss here, I'm usually with them, I can keep up. Sometimes I even have facts to back me up!