Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ugly Wall Flowers


I am spending the afternoon removing old wallpaper.

Old wallpaper is equally as scary as a conservative convention with Gingrich and Santorum except in a more personal or micro type of way. Both throw a dark and gloomy pallor on a potentially vibrant experience or environment.

Here's what I am doing.

- score the wall with a weird little wallpaper perforation palm held tool, costs a couple of bucks.

- spritz the wall with Dif wallpaper removing liquid. I spritz with a flower mister.

- scrape off the paper with a wallpaper scraper. The alliteration is free.

- repeat steps 1 through 3 because it doesn't work the first time, sucker.

- clean up the mess, and try again tomorrow because you can't finish a regular room in an afternoon, not even close.

3 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

I did a whole house of this. I used hot water sprayed on and mixed with Oxi-clean. Dif was ok, but Oxy-glean and hot water melts the crap out of the old glue. Make sure ALL the old glue is off or your paint won't bond if your working old plaster walls. Oh and you must reseal the walls before painting. Pain in the ass. I hate wall paper and rue the day I ever used the stuff. It's fine on new sheet rock that's about it.

Jim Sande said...

ok will try oxy-clean, and see if the hardware store has it.

Glynn Kalara said...

I also scrubbed the walls with some kind of acid , forget the name Tri-Phosphate something or another. I'd ask at the local Home Depot or hardware they'll know that one, or google it. This is done after the glue was all off. I have to remove some paper this week myself. Ugh :(