Search This Blog

Friday, February 20, 2009

The Market On Friday

If you thought a 60% unrealized gain was hard to look at, get ready for 70%.

A longtime devotee of Wall St explained to me on Thursday that Wall St and the stock market will in fact improve. So as we go through this recession day by day and comment on the vast array of problems, we have to keep in mind that at some point there will positive news.

Think of it as a very long and protracted head cold remembering that it will get better.

Reuters: Futures point to lower Wall Street opening
At 8:30 a.m. EST, the Labor Department releases the January Consumer Price Index (CPI). Economists in a Reuters survey expect a median 0.5 percent drop compared with a 0.8 percent fall in December.

7 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

Oh Boy. 6K here we come. The lay offs aren't helping. The market is saying no jobs , no incomes, no customers...oh lay off some more, go here put a gun to your head. When it gets down to 3K and the real lay offs begin wake me up. When this is over we'll all think the 90's and the 00's never happened and maybe they haven't.

Jim Sande said...

Well, we are at the lowest point in the DOW in this recession, since January of 08. It took a while to get here. Obama helped the market today by saying he was not going to nationalize banks. I wish I had a magic ball, but its just not possible to predict where this mess is going to end up. For all I know we could dive more next week, breeze through the 7000s and keep crashing, this seems possible and even likely I guess. On the other hand, somebody could say the thing that will cause a small rally. There has to be a bottom to this thing. The micro positive signs will appear.

Glynn Kalara said...

I didn't qualify for the COBRA relief, missed the deadline by a friggin month! :( Health Ins. at 60 is a must, try paying for it these days without a job. This society has turned evil. In the end the Drs. , Ins. Companies ( lawyers/accts.) and the IRS get everything u work for your whole life. Dante wrote a book about all of this.

Jim Sande said...

Sorry to hear about missing the relief. I can believe what you are saying about coming up with an insurance payment like that. Eventually something will open up for you, there's always that tendency for things to work out.

Glynn Kalara said...

I'm sure that's what they said on the Titanic. The American dream is fraud. I'd move to England if I could afford it and they'd take me.

Jim Sande said...

Why England?

Glynn Kalara said...

Nat'l health Ins. for one. I really like London for 2. I was thinking new Zealand but it's to far away from the family and my kids. London is like living in LA only in the opp. direction.