Search This Blog

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Another New Health Care Proposal

My own personal weird health care story -

In December I had to have a tooth extracted. The tooth was fractured probably from my assault.

Anyhow, I am referred to an oral surgeon by my regular dentist. I'm in the oral surgeon's chair and he examines the tooth. He says yes we have to extract it.

While I'm in the chair and right after the exam, a secretary comes in with a bill for the exam and the extraction which is to follow.

The bill is over $400, and yes, I do have dental insurance.

I write the check, we move on to the extraction.

I get about $100 reimbursed by the insurance company.

I'm assuming this scenario is common.

Reuters: New U.S. health insurance program envisioned
The Commonwealth Fund, a leading private health policy research group, unveiled a comprehensive plan for changing a U.S. health care system that is the world's most expensive yet lags many other nations in important measures of quality.

U.S. Census Bureau figures show 15 percent of Americans had no health insurance in 2007, a total of 45.7 million people.

2 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

We have a terrible health care fiasco, not a system. It's expensive and lousy. Allowing Ins. companies to handle this area is both morally and ethically crazy, but more importantly it's failing millions of our people and dooming many to an early grave. Part of the problem is that Health care Ins. companies don't really give a shit about our health. What they want to to do is charge huge rates , provide the mininal service they can get away with and buy off all the political help they need to keep it that way. The pols all have wonderful policies so they don't give a shit either. We need to take away their great policies and then things will change fast!

Jim Sande said...

Health care is a mess. You are lucky if you can find a health care provider who is an actual healer, someone that is in it for the profession and is not jaded by the dough and the insurance companies. Once you are in the system you are in trouble.