Search This Blog

Friday, December 07, 2007

Absinthe


Legendary Liquor (Absinthe) Coming To Bay Area Store Shelves
An Alameda distillery has been given the green light by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau to sell its version of absinthe...

The drink has been banned for nearly a century because of its 120-proof potency, and fears about its herbal ingredients.

Vincent Van Gough reportedly sliced off his ear while drinking it, and legend has it, the drink turned normal people into homicidal maniacs.
At 120 proof, a teaspoonful of Absinthe will lay me out. (Although the newest incarnation is 60 proof) But will I try it? Oh hell yes.

Painting is Degas' 'The Absinthe Drinker'

3 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

While in Greece this summer I tasted it. Rude stuff.

Jim Sande said...

Now I'm jealous. I've wanted to try it for about a year now.

Glynn Kalara said...

U should anyway. Believe me its not for drinking. Great stuff for removing varnish though! :)