Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

Kansas City And Solar Energy

Its the prefect storm - electricity rates are going up in the Midwest, there's plenty of sunshine, and the cost of solar panels is going down.

That's what we want to hear, a drop in solar panel costs.

Would that be something, the Midwest goes solar, red goes green.

Kansas City.com: Solar power heats up as costs drop, electric rates rise
The price of solar panels has dropped substantially, and the Midwest’s traditionally low electricity prices are on the rise.


The payback time for a solar panel project had plummeted from 25 years to just 10 years.


To be sure, solar energy remains in its infancy in the U.S., providing only 1/1000th of the country’s electricity generation. But the amount of solar-generated electricity in U.S. homes doubled last year, and a growing number of businesses are jumping in. FedEx recently installed the largest rooftop solar installation in the country in Woodbridge, N.J., and Wal-Mart has solar installations supplying power to about 20 of its stores.

2 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

I'm working up a plan to start to install my own system here. I'll start with a basic system just to act as an emerg. back up to run my heaters circulating pump if the power goes off and for emerg. lighting. I'm going to do a DIY on this since most of the cost is labor to install. I have a friend who is an electrician that is going to help me with the hook up to my heater and lights. I'm going to run wiring for a separate lightening system using LED lites ( super lo energy lighting). Then my plan is to slowly expand it. The big cost is the inverter and I'm researching these . Like everything else the more you know about them the cheaper they get. It's ONLY expensive to install massive systems and have a Solar company do it.

Jim Sande said...

Let us know what you find out, like where you buy the equipment and such...