Search This Blog

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Skype


On the advice of a close relative, I downloaded Skype software. Within a few minutes we were having a live video conversation on the computer, and it was very cool.

Many already have this in place but as a novice, a first timer, I was very charged up about it.

You do need to have a camera on the computer or have one connected to it, but if you don't, you can still use the software. You could see the person you are talking with on your computer provided they have a camera.

Its a good deal too, its free.

Also, and this is very cool, you can have video conference calls with several people at once.

My computer has a built in microphone, so it was not even necessary to have a headset like the one shown in the picture above.

We do have a high speed connection to the internet, and I suspect, but I'm not positive, that this is also important to have.

I know I sound like an advertisement, but this really was cool. I am going to make all my family members get it.

Skype

4 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

I used to think Video was kewl as well. I find I don't really need it though.

Jim Sande said...

Yeah but you know its a chance to see the little one who is now 25 and off on her own. Its a dad thing. ;)

Glynn Kalara said...

I hear ya. I take my daughter to her 1st yr. in college on Tues. My son is a Jr. this yr. at a University in Pa. I 'll miss her. It's going to strange after 20 yrs. an empty house.

Jim Sande said...

Yes, when my daughter left it was a huge adjustment for me. I got depressed for a while. The year was 2001. So she goes to school around 9-1 and then 9-11 all hell broke loose. So no more time for depression.

But now its good, we still see her, and they are supposed to go off on their own just like we did. Now we can feel for our parents who went through the same thing. My parents kept wanting me to move back, stay with them. I couldn't understand why at age 22. Now I get it. Now they have passed away so... there you have it.

I talked to one person about it at the time who also went through her daughter going away. She said to me, yea I went through that, now when they come to visit she says, she can't wait for them to leave lol! So she can have the house to herself.