Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

What? - Part One

This comment was made on my article 'Stupid, Secretive, Surly, and Sadistic' at Smirking Chimp.

"...you've stated the obvious, now, what can be done about it. How are "We The People" to do anything that would diminish the power that this president has already taken. How do we "rise above the MSM"? I read, like you and the above commentators, and sit here and wonder to myself "what?" Where's the path that will lead us back to a place called Democracy?"

I decided to take the bait.

Level

There is the idea of the range of your influence. People can influence the debate at various levels, and all levels are important, necessary, and effective.

There is the neighborhood and regional level, the state level, the national level, and the world level.

I know the name of the governor of my state, most of the people in NY know that, but I really can't remember the name of the governor of Maine. I know about the Dalai Lama but I'm sure he doesn't know about me.

So knowing the range of your influence is good. Although we don't like limitations, sometimes knowing at least your present limitation can help you channel your efforts in the best way, using your energy efficiently and wisely. And it may help to jumpstart you into becoming active in some way. Your activity might be small, but it is effective. Don't forget that tiny acts sometimes have worldwide resonance.

As a beginning writer, I work at the neighborhood and regional level. I am in the progressive debate with a small group. That's fine with me and I love doing that. Writing is also the component that I have the most interest in and a desire to become more adept at.

to be continued.....

No comments: