Search This Blog

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Outer Space


Fascinating article on Mars.

The wet planet: There was life on Mars (probably)

Scientists now say that an ocean several miles deep once covered a third of the surface of the planet, enough water to support the origin and evolution of life. The red planet, they said, had once been a deep blue, just like Earth. By Steve Connor

I've had this personal fairy tale about how the strife in the Middle East ends. A meteor large enough to destroy Israel, the Gaza, and the West Bank, is on its way. Instead of fighting each other, people have to look up and contemplate their mortal fragility now directed from outer space. Suddenly the endless conflict loses importance and only a shared understanding takes over.

Recall the positive side of 9-11 directly after, when people temporarily forgot about the next Joey Buttafuoco pot boiler and focussed on the need for humanity in its essential aspect. It didn't last long, but I was sorry to see it disappear.

These diversionary tales on TV which embrace the stars, power elite, and fast fame jailbirds are bogus. I trashed my TV about a year ago. Suddenly I have more time, I'm more productive, and I don't miss a thing about it.

No comments: