Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Brain Coupling

In my opinion you know when someone truly hears what you are saying, and vice versa. The keyword is know.

Interpersonal science is moving in interesting directions.

Live Science: Successful Conversations Involve Mind Melds, Study Reveals
...during successful verbal communication, brain responses of the speaker mirror those of the listener.


"In principle, producing speech and listening to speech are two different things. But because you and I have the same kinds of brains, it might be that those processes ... aren't nearly as distinct as we think."

3 comments:

Ed said...

For me it's hard to know when someone is listening, or getting what I am saying. I look for a good healthy "what do you mean by that?"

A conversation where there's understanding going on will usually contain this simple question.

Jim Sande said...

I like that there's a shift in science where they seem to be studying interconnectedness rather than an isolated object. They are looking at objects in relationships or contexts. So we are seeing these broader and more helpful types of studies. They are identifying unusual ways to draw a circle around a body under investigation.

If you strongly like someone I think you tend t be more willing to carefully listen and place your attention on them. The problem is that most people have very weak attention spans. Don they say that as a people we are shifting in our ability to remain attentive. The internet is like a vast attention shifting vehicle that represents this shift.

In short I don't think anybody listens to anybody. Its rare that it happens at all. Most people all project what they want to hear coming from the other person's mouth.

Glynn Kalara said...

ADD is a big problem today. I think it's a symptom of info overload. Nobody, studies anything in depth because we don't have the time or the inclination to anymore. I've tried to stay focused on a few issues and I hammer away at trying to understand them and educate others about them. Occasionally, I even feel as I'm making some headway on both these paths.