Search This Blog

Monday, February 29, 2016

Take Another Look

  This week I plan to post artwork by Lucas Cranach the Younger. Last week I posted work by Lucas Cranach the Elder. The painting directly below is by the Elder.

  I posted this painting on Saturday but I wanted to just give it another look. I would offer that this is one of the strangest and mysterious paintings that you will ever see. It depicts several biblical events including the Crucifixion, Death, and Resurrection of Jesus all in one painting as if one could represent the events of a movie in one image. But that's not all, what is particularly curious in my opinion is the top right corner of the painting. Here we see the heads of what I would suppose are angels, circling an opening in ordinary reality. There is the depiction of an orifice opening that apparently would be an entrance into another world, another reality, probably heaven. This strikes me as a stunning, and very curious depiction - an opening in the seamless reality we experience which transports you into a different realm. It's like a black hole perhaps. Let's push it a bit, it's like a female opening into another universe.


No comments: