Search This Blog

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Mission Half Accomplished



The downed willow limbs are half way sawed up and stacked for the town to remove on Tuesday.

We ended up buying the gas powered 16" chain saw because the tree is too far away from the house for the electric. I love the saw, it made quick work of the willow which is a soft light wood. Several pieces were buried real deep into the ground. I estimate they fell 6o feet or so. We had to sledge hammer them and pull with two of us to get them out.

The 16" chain saw is supposed to be able to cut up to 32" diameter wood, one slice through on each side. We'll tackle the heavy parts tomorrow. But right now I'm happy because this looks like a $1,000 job and we definitely paid for the saw today alone.

Some say you can burn willow in the fireplace, the problem is that you have to keep it very dry. I may keep a few pieces for burning, use them as kindling.

2 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

If its not pine I'd burn it. I cut down and burn all kinds of crap on my property. Right now I'm burning an old Cherry tree that came crashing down in my yard a few yrs. ago in a late spring Nor'easter. Smells great.

Jim Sande said...

Okay, all I need is a little push, I'll save some.