Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

True Story

This is the sad truth oh reader of sande.blogspot. I was assaulted on election day night, of all nights.

This is the prepared statement that I delivered to the my City Council. I will be fine.
On Election Day Novemeber 6 just less than 2 weeks ago, I was walking less than three blocks to a cafe on xxxx Ave for a cup of coffee. This was at 8 PM at night.

Walking by the address of 267 xxxx Ave, I was assaulted by a gang of teenagers. Specifically 10 teenagers age 16 to 18, all black males and 1 female.

I was blind side punched in the head, several times and knocked to the ground were I was repeatedly kicked to the chest and repeatedly punched in the head by a gang of teens who surrounded me on all sides. The attackers were interested in beating my brains out and kicking my chest in.

It was only through fortunate circumstances that I was able to get out after 2 women saw the attack and started screaming to call the police. At that point the attackers ran off.

The intensity of the hatred and violence was unbelievable. They were punching and kicking me with intense hatred and I don't even know these people. To me this was a hate crime.

These violent attackers did not want my money, they only wanted to beat me up.

The police arrived and took a report. Afterwards I ended up in the emergency room, for a brain cat scan, chest x-rays, and various other tests. All my tests came back clear. This is a reminder of how this type of violence stresses the health care system as well.

I experienced bruised ribs, head pain, naseau, and dizziness. Some of this still continues.

According to a worker in the cafe, another man was assaulted by a gang that same night.

The basic question that I have is simply this:

Why are gangs of dangerous people roaming the xxxx Ave neighborhood? For me the answer is very simple - there shouldn't be gangs of violent thugs roaming xxxx Ave. Shouldn't even be there. I don't want to see gangs of thugs in the streets. Clean it up.

In a time of speedy communication why was this gang allowed to even roam around. Is anyone watching the streets at all?

The primary matter that you need to be concerned with is the safety of the people in that neighborhood. That primary safety issue should override any hesitation that any of you feel should happen because you think that information of this nature, might harm the businesses on the street.

It does not take much imagination to see that if violent crime continues on xxxx Ave, that businesses will be hurt. So the priority is simple, stop the violent crime.

If you are not in agreement with me on this than I do not believe that you are working for the interest of the people. Working for the safety of the people should be the fundamental rule.

Let me tell you that the people that attacked me are very violent people. No one in that gang wanted anybody to stop beating me. Nobody said a word about stopping. If these people are 16 or 18 what sort of future will they have. What will they become in this community. I am old enough to be these kids grandfather. These are people who have no problem assaulting older people and more vulnerable people.

People that I talk with are worried. There's all kinds of speculation. Was this a gang initiation ritual - pick a stranger and beat them up, what was it. People need to get some answers to this. Also people need to know how to take measures to protect themselves so they don't get beat up and attacked.

I don't see a good future for the attackers. They are lacking a moral compass. Its hard to see any of these people achieving anything more than becoming a more violent criminal. That road leads to nowhere.

What you need to do is take my story and do something good, something that will improve the safety of the people on xxxx ave. Ask yourself this simple question - why are gangs like this even allowed to roam the streets and how can we stop that. People need to know how to protect themselves. You can't sweep this under the rug. We have a big problem here.

4 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

Sorry to hear about your mugging! I've had it happen to me. The streets are filled with rage these days.

Jim Sande said...

Thanks gk. Rage sums it up well.

I like to think these kids mistook me for GW.

Sorry to hear it happened to you.

Glynn Kalara said...

It was many yrs. ago. I ran a liq. store and a bar in a black neighborhood it was just part of the job. These folks would come home after a day filled with whitey on them and then they'd let loose on me. It wasn't right but it just was. I had a gun stuck in my face , I was cut with a knife attacked with a bottle , had my car robbed and tires slashed repeatedly and on and on and on. But, I'm not bitter or became a racist about it.

I'll be back later after
I get my hood and sheets cleaned! ;)

Jim Sande said...

I try to remember the Buddhist idea that following anger with anger is like following a mad man who has just jumped off a cliff.

Its helpful, but I would be 'mis-leading' if I said it was completely helpful at this time.