Search This Blog

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Kidney Stone

  Wednesday morning I was going about my usual routines when suddenly I was hit with a back pain so severe that I literally began moaning. This is unusual for me as I generally handle pain okay. Having done quite a bit of physical labor my entire life I assumed I had hurt my back moving a pile of bricks around the previous day.

  I'll skip to 8:00 Wednesday evening where the pain had become so severe that I thought I must be dying. I'm serious here. At the hospital E.R. a CAT scan revealed a kidney stone was moving through my ureter on a long and very painful journey through my urinary track. I was actually given morphine twice within an hour to cut the pain and it didn't even affect the pain I experienced. I was discharged from the hospital on Thursday at noon with prescriptions for narcotic pain relievers and a drug that helps the urinary track relax. This drug is also giving to older men with enlarged prostates. I had virtually no interest in food except for a few grapes and I was implored to drink lots and lots of water which I did do, going off to the loo every 40 minutes or so right through the night.

  I'll skip to Friday night when I finally passed a small stone like a little pebble. One has to literally strain their urine for stone particles that the urologist will in turn examine and then make suggestions about how to change one's diet to prevent another episode. So at the moment I feel like I've been through the ringer as it were and have nothing planned today except relaxing.

  At the hospital a nurse relayed the story to me about women who have had both given birth and kidney stones. Every one said they would prefer to experience the pain of giving birth to a baby than the pain of going through a kidney stone.

4 comments:

Ed said...

How big was the stone? Sorry to hear about it, lots of pain, but now it's over, right? No more stones in there waiting to go down the drain?

Yikes.

Jim Sande said...

The pain is over except for some residual soreness from the straining of muscles and such - stomach, back, shoulder kinda sore. I've been told it's the only stone. The rule is a stone up to 5 millimeters has a 90% chance of passing without surgery. 5 to 10 millimeters have a 50% chance of passing without surgery. And larger than 10 millimeters usual will need surgery to get the stone out. My stone which I have nicknamed 'little shit' is 4 millimeters long. Ed the pain was beyond belief, I was literally almost in shock from the pain, very much functioning on the reptilian aspect of the brain.

Glynn Kalara said...

Jim, I've been there. For those folks who've experienced it all I can say is its an 11 on a 10 pain scale. Up till that day I'd never had Morphine, as I thought I handled pain pretty well. Not really, I just had never experienced it at that level. Oh and shock is a good way of putting it. I thought someone had put a knife in me. It's chilling and anxiety producing to think about to this day 7 yrs later. Watch for PTSD as an after effect effect within the next 6 mos. its a common reaction to such a shock. I wish you a speedy recovery friend.

Jim Sande said...

I thought about the PTSD, so I'm watching. Right now I'm pretty wiped out and just resting a lot. It's interesting how all your plans and ideas and basically life get wiped off the slate and all you can feel is pain and trying to escape it.