Search This Blog

Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Market On Thursday

  Good morning. It is 32 degrees and mostly sunny this morning here in Upstate NY. The weather logo is predicting rain today and temperatures in the 40s. That will be the warmest it's been around here in a while as an extremely harsh February Winter has blanketed the Northeast. The rain mixed with the huge piles of snow and above freezing temperatures will make for wet basements and lots of slush. The good news is we are not lacking for water. On a personal note, I've been imposing a personal fast on my computer activity. After some reflection it occurs to me that I don't want to spend my excess time sitting in front of the computer gathering in its informational wisdom. The internet is great but communication through it is stunted and incomplete. I was talking with a stranger in a coffee shop the other day and it occurred to me that a transcript of our conversation would not even fit on a Facebook post where " I like that" substitutes for conversation. The world is big and exciting, and I want to experience it face to face not virtually. Having said this I plan to continue the blog and at this time limit my posting to the morning.

  At 8:15 a.m. ET futures are moderately lower and the price of oil per barrel is down. The market is poised to open lower.

  Investors will be parsing all kinds of data today on inflation, jobs, corporate reports, and such. The morning seems most affected by a negative report on manufacturing in China. As I've stated many times before, the world is not physically capable of endless economic growth, so the built in mechanism which demands growth has to be addressed. That will not occur in our lifetimes.

CNN: Stocks: Growth worries could hit sentiment
HSBC's preliminary reading of Chinese manufacturing activity fell to a seven-month low in February.

European markets were all in the red in morning trading...

No comments: