Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Changing The Paradigm

I really like this story. Its about a woman who figured out that she preferred to be around people rather than being alone all the time.

Its a simple truth and its good. We need other people.

AlterNet: Why I Decided to Live With Roomates at Age 37: How Living With Others Is Good for My Wallet, Health and Happiness
But what we might not realize is how living with others is beneficial to not only finances, but also to physical well-being. Little did I know that the loneliness I was experiencing on a daily basis in my tucked-away studio was actually bad for my health. University of Chicago psychologist John Cacioppo has spent many years tracking the effects of loneliness, according to a 2003 article in Psychology Today. Cacioppo found that loneliness leads to higher rates of depression, alcoholism and even suicide. Most dramatically, diminished interaction with others can raise levels of circulating stress hormones and levels of blood pressure, a condition that can lead to heart disease and strokes.

A new sharing economy is emerging...

No comments: