Thursday, September 03, 2009

Local Crime Update

I just read in the local paper where an 18 year old male teen was shot and killed directly across the street from where I lived up until December of '08. This is in upstate NY.

This is the cruel reality of violence in the city, not just my former city, but many cities.

The teen was black and in this city there is a great deal of violent crime committed by black youth. Some say it is gang related.

I know about it all too well, as I was assaulted by a gang of black teens in November of '07. Some would say I am lucky to be alive.

The business interests in the neighborhood have not found a good way of responding to the violence. They seem to prefer the approach of limiting any mention of it at all. This approach is understandable yet it is clearly wrong.

What are we to do?

No comments: