Search This Blog

Friday, June 26, 2009

Graduating During The Recession

The day has a sober feel to it or so it seems. Its raining where I live, this accentuates that quality.

Looking into the ways that the recession affects different people working in different sectors, McClatchy is reporting on the prospects for recent college graduates.

The prospects are the lowest in decades, but many do find work.

McClatchy: Another recession casualty: Recent college graduates
...during the first four months of 2009, less than half of the nation's 4 million college graduates age 25 and under were working in jobs that required a college degree.

3 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

During the Great Depression College grads. waited tables and worked on on construction gangs. People with PHDS drove cabs and mowed lawns. I worry about my own College age kids. I have one graduating next summer. I told him get in Grad. school but he wants a break. I took such a break I'm still on it 40 yrs later. That was a mistake.

Jim Sande said...

Let's start a new trend old guys back to grad school. I was thinking something that easily translates into a job like music history... j/k

Glynn Kalara said...

Ok, I'll get my PHD then in Punk Rock artists I threw out of my Nightclub in the 80's. I liked Henry Rollins though. He had a show every Sunday @ my club called Hardcore Sunday. The kids had a ball. Broken glass an inch deep. I had to wrap everything breakable in foam, etc. The Police showed up one Sunday and were awed by the Mosh pit. Ironically, after 10 shows not one real injury. Had the whole world of Punk in that summer. Seems like a distant dream now. These same kids probably trashed the economy over the next 20 yrs. ;) Make no mistake about Reagan Youth ruined us.