Search This Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cash For Clunkers

The Senate passed the bill today, with four Republicans joining Democrats to get a 60 to 39 vote.

So, consider getting rid of the clunker.

Yahoo: Senate Passes "Cash for Clunkers" Program
...was expected to be implemented by early August.

Under the proposal, car owners could get a voucher worth $3,500 if they traded in a vehicle getting 18 miles per gallon or less for one getting at least 22 mpg. The value of the voucher would grow to $4,500 if the mileage of the new car was 10 mpg higher than the old vehicle. The miles per gallon figures are listed on the car window's sticker.

1 comment:

Ju said...

I don't qualify because my car already gets good gas mileage. My dad swears by the car buying process here: http://excarsalesman.typepad.com/ It is kind of similar.

I haven't tried it yet, but I might because it looks good.

I have a feeling dealers are going to automatically increase prices because of the increased demand (artificial) for lower MPG cars. So the thousands of savings from this bill for consumers is not entirely accurate. The demand will increase prices and you'll get a voucher from increased prices. I'm certain some markets you'll come out even as if they never offered this voucher. It is poorly written legislation.