Search This Blog

Friday, May 29, 2009

The Market On Friday


Futures are up this morning.

Economic data on the gross domestic product, manufacturing activity, consumer sentiment, and economic activity is coming out today. All of the data will likely show a modest improvement over the previous quarter.

Investors may or may not run with it.

Perusing the list of companies reporting first quarter results, we see that J Crew is posting a profit. I find myself wondering how that occurred in a serious recession. We are poorer but we sure look good, or was it the Obama family bounce when we learned that the Obama's buy from Crew.

Are you guys buying those $89 pre-washed chinos? I feel so left out...

Reuters: Stock futures point to higher Wall Street open
U.S. Commerce Department is due to release its preliminary (second) Q1 estimate of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) at 8:30 p.m.

1 comment:

steve t said...

Damn, Those J Crew designers were regular customers of my vintage clothing biz. I should have some special knowledge here. Hmm..Gap is taking a beating....so are many other middle/upper middle clothiers. I was letting the Crew people off cheap. That's it. Their creative people had a field day with my colossial stock and upstate pricing......$89 would have got you 9 pair and change....Really???? I think their middle of the road, kind of "don't rock the boat" styling is what people would look for in a tough job market....though a presidential endorsement has got to be worth a few bucks. Any figures on what Clinton's eating habits did for Burger King