Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I Switched

I live in a small 4 bedroom house, wood frame, built in the early 1900s, its nice but its not energy efficient. I have added insulation and changed windows and this has improved energy efficiency. There's a lot more to do.

Yesterday I changed the light bulbs from the standard design type to the energy efficient fluorescent bulbs. Basically I am now paying approximately 1/4 to 1/5 less in lighting energy costs for making this change. Also the new fluorescent bulbs last much longer, 5 to 7 years are promised.

Here is a list of the types of energy efficient bulbs:

-A fluorescent bug light $7.98 - One for the back porch and one for the front porch. They use only 14 watts, and the yellow light is comparable and very bright. Its a replacement for a 60 watt standard bulb.

-A rounded standard bulb looking replacement light which uses 13 watts and replaces a standard 60 watt light bulb $9.98. I didn't buy too many, they are pricey, but the light is similar to a standard bulb. I used them in a few lamps.

-A ceiling fan/light fixture replacement bulb $11.98 for a pack of 4. It uses only 9 watts per bulb as opposed to the 40 watts per bulb standards.

-A mini twist replacement uses only 19 watts per bulb, it is a replacement for a standard 60 watt bulb. The cost was $6.58 for a pack of 6 regulars, and $7.98 for a pack of 3 soft lights. Some were used in the basement and attic, some in lamps. These are replacement for a standard 60 watt bulb.

-A 13 watt daylight twist replacement. This is also a replacement for a 60 watt standard bulb. The light is very clear and works well in a living room lamp, $5.98 per bulb.

-A couple of 100 watt replacement bulbs and a 75 watt replacement bulb, $8.48 - $6.98. They are large and will only fit in a lamp that is large enough to accept it. If there is a lampshade, the light is similar to a standard bulb.

The total cost for replacing the whole house was $166.04 includes tax.

The light on the replacements does not go to full strength immediately. They take a few minutes to reach full lighting strength. So when you first turn them on the light seems inadequate, but it gradually increases to adequate.

Generally, the adjustment to the different light quality was easy. Some of the new bulbs are very similar in light quality. I say this because I generally really dislike fluorescent light, but I can live with these.

Do it, you will save money in the long run.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got some bulbs through the unitarian society and plan on getting some more! Good for you! Betsey

Anonymous said...

I tried switching over a couple years ago. Maybe they have since changed, but what I noticed was the long amount of time it took some to reach an adequate amount of light to read or work in when the room was cold. They remain in some warmer areas of my home, but had not served me well in my attic or basement areas. I welcome suggestions. Thank you.

Jim Sande said...

chris, yes they are a little weird, and they take a bit to get used to, but they have a real selection of different types, I went to the nearby large box store.
Something there will do the trick.