Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Nuke-a-ler confusion


"This may sound a little West Texan to you, but I like it. When I'm talking about.. when I'm talking about myself, and when he's talking about myself, all of us are talking about me." George W. Bush

I came across the reference to this BBC news story at The Raw Story. Raw story is a good alternative news source especially for the liberal and progressive crowd.

The story is a few years old, its from April 3, 2002:

US grants North Korea $95 million in nuclear funds

Here are two excerpts from this article:

excerpt 1: In releasing the funding, President George W Bush waived the Framework's requirement that North Korea allow inspectors to ensure it has not hidden away any weapons-grade plutonium from the original reactors.

excerpt 2: President Bush argued that the decision was "vital to the national security interests of the United States".

Yes I agree, its confusing. Why would the US grant $95 million to North Korea for anything whatsoever involving the word 'nuclear?' On the surface it seems to contradict the messages we presently hear from the White House on North Korea. Also the first excerpt seems to run 180 degrees from the policy that was used by Bush prior to the war in Iraq regarding inspectors. If I learn more about it, I will let you know.

Painting by Jean Arp

No comments: