Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Milteer



Reading through Peter Dale Scott's "Deep Politics and the Death of JFK", I came across a particularly catching section. This would be on page 49 of the paperback edition.

Here is an excerpt from this section:

"......How else should one assess the response of FBI headquarters to a report from Miami that Joseph Adams Milteer, a white racist with Klan connections, had in early November 1963 correctly warned that a plot to kill the President "from an office building with a high powered rifle" was already "in the working"? These words are taken from a tape-recording of a discussion between Milteer and his friend, Miami police informant Bill Somersett. Miami police provided copies of this tape to both the Secret Service and the FBI on November 10, 1963, two weeks before the assassination......"

When I read this passage I was shocked. I do not intend to go into all of the details and implications surrounding this sort of evidence which was apparently "covered up." Read the book for yourself and see what you think.

One thing that came to my mind immediately was the statement made by Condi Rice to the 9-11 Commission.

BEN-VENISTE: Isn't it a fact, Dr. Rice, that the August 6 PDB warned against possible attacks in this country? And I ask you whether you recall the title of that PDB?
RICE: I believe the title was, "Bin Laden Determined to Attack Inside the United States."

Entire Rice transcript

The Milteer statement certainly is much more specific but there was that sense of curious surprise when Rice said these words, at least for me.

I write this just to throw up a question mark. I have no answers. I will keep reading Scott's book.

Artwork by Joseph Beuys

No comments: