Search This Blog

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Colonoscopy


I just had my first colonoscopy. My sister who is 13 years older, was diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer last year. She is doing fine after surgery and chemo. This made it clear to my doctor that I was at a higher risk for developing the disease. So the appointment was made.

In truth it was a very easy procedure. Last week I had a screening/preliminary exam. The doctor went over the specifics, and I was given a list of things to take and do prior to the colonoscopy.

You have to take a lot of laxatives basically the day before the colonoscopy and eat a restricted diet of clear liquids. You take the laxatives in a drink and have some every 15 minutes till its gone. Make no mistake you do get the runs, but because you're not really sick, its not so bad. I felt very little discomfort.

The procedure itself was a snap. I chose to use the anesthetic, meaning I was out. I am writing this about 3 hours later and I feel fine with maybe some mild fatigue.

The nurses and doctors were kind, professional, and understanding which was very good because I was a bit nervous.

The good news for me is that I'm clean as a whistle, no polyps. I was prepared for worse news and apparently if I had polyps they were going to remove them right then and there relatively easily.

It is the polyps that can become cancerous, so get rid of them.

My advice, do it if you are at the age. Its no big whoop. Hey, if I can do it, you can too.

Follow this link: Colon Cancer Screening

Two excerpts from the Colon Cancer Screening page to consider:
-In the United States, someone dies from colorectal cancer every 9.3 minutes.

-Getting a colonoscopy can reduce the average person's risk of dying from colorectal cancer by 90%.

No comments: