Search This Blog

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Without All That Stuff


One of the messages that we are reading lately deals with strategies for how to live in our changing economic times.

With a dollar that is losing value, saving money is imperative. With fuel costs seeing new unchartered highs, understanding energy consumption is as important as money.

The suggestions include -

Reducing credit card debt and debt in general. I have first hand experience here. Last year I moved my credit card debt to a one year interest free deal. In that time I've cut the balance more than in half. The payments are significantly smaller and I plan to be credit card debt free shortly. I probably will not keep a credit card in the future.

Reducing monthly expenses. Certainly credit card debt is part of that but there is paring down expenses. Simple home improvements that reduce fuel bills is a good one along with the possibility of doing it yourself. If you need help just ask, I've worked construction for over 25 years.

Somewhere in here is my reiteration that bicycles are a great way to get around.

This letter from the New York Times describes a more severe approach.

NYT: A New Freedom, Without All That Stuff
My wife and I gave almost all our possessions away seven years ago when I retired. We packed the rest in our old Plymouth minivan and hit the road.

We’ve been on it ever since, living everywhere from Amherst to Tucson and staying for months on end in cheap motels and cooking our meals on a hot plate. I even wrote a book about it.

Living simply and without truckloads of material things is easier than you might think and more gratifying than we ever imagined.
Clearly many people can't do this and many wouldn't even want to. Also with gas rising in price with the numbers $12 and $15 per gallon being thrown around by the talking media experts, this particular strategy may not be viable on a fixed income. But maybe some are attracted.

The idea of a smaller one story home with solar panels and excellent insulation, the living off the grid scenario appeals to me.

No comments: