Search This Blog

Friday, May 16, 2008

Acupuncture 1


On the advice of medical professionals, I decided to undergo acupuncture treatment in order to alleviate neck and head pain.

I have never had an acupuncture treatment, so this was a new thing.

Here's the low down -

The acupuncturist spent time asking questions abut the nature of the pain, detailed information. We talked medical history, that sort of related information.

Lying down face up, he placed a total of nine thin needles in me, two in each hand at specific points, two in each foot also in specific points, and one about two inches above the center of my eyes near the hairline. (Yes I still have hair.)

The needles came out of a sealed fresh package, and before he placed them in, he swabs the area with I think alcohol.

Anyhow the sensation of the needles going in was mild. You do feel a little sting but compared to something like having blood taken, it is a 1 or 2 on a scale of 10, 10 being very painful.

After the needles were put in place, he told me to relax and that I would simply lay quietly for 30 minutes. He turned down the lights and left the room.

So I'm laying there with 9 needles stuck in hands, feet, and forehead, there's new age kind of music playing (Possibly my least favorite music ever, ever...), the room is darkened, and my first thought was, I have got to get the hell out of here!

I ignore the urge to leave, start deep breathing, and fall into a deep deep trance like sleep. Time flies by, the acupuncturist comes back in. I am awake but the sleep was so deep that I am wondering where the hell am I.

He takes the needles out in a systematic way, and basically I'm sent on my way, with some advice. There is no lingering pain or feeling of the needles, nothing. In fact as I was laying there, pretty much nothing as well.

I am to take it easy for the rest of the day, not too much exertion. I am to come back for another appointment. I probably will not feel the effects for another 24 to 48 hours.

As I write this, I am less than 24 hours from the treatment, but things feel better. I'm optimistic.

No comments: