Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tragedy

These shootings at Virginia Tech are horribly sad. I can't imagine getting the news that your son or daughter was shot to death at college. That is a hard one.

I watched the clip taken on a student's cell phone. On the clip you can hear the booming sound of gun shots, they're so loud. But its realizing that each one of those shots is killing an unsuspecting innocent person that is devastating. It brings home the sense of the fragility of life and the shock of facing death in a fatal twist of a moment, unprepared, and in stunned disbelief.

We lost an excellent friend in a college shooting years back. His presence remains strongly etched in my mind. In a small way he accompanies me in my life.

The last thing I wanted to think about were words from Bush. The message sent out of the White House meant to show support to all the people at the NRA are out of place and thoughtless. Not the time to make points with your precarious support base. It would have been better to remain silent.

No comments: