Search This Blog

Monday, July 17, 2006

Getting Off The Grid - SIPS

Many of us are looking at ways to move towards getting off the grid. We want to disconnect our house from the power company and live in relative comfort with all modern conveniences. We want to heat/power our homes with solar, or wind. We want energy efficient design because energy conservation keeps coming up as an excellent method for reducing fossil fuel usage.

In looking at just one aspect of this problem, particularly approaches to building a new home, take a look at SIPS. I am not necessarily saying this is the way to go but it seems like it offers some good answers.

SIPS = structurally insulated panels. This is a way to build a basic one family home that differs from the usual 16 inch on center, 2 x 4 stud built wooden frame house. The trouble with the 2 x 4 framed house is that it allows for many small areas where the cold can enter the house. Even in a well insulated house, this is a problem.

Admittedly many people have worked on air leakage in the 2 x 4 framed house. But take a look at some of these sights and see if it appeals.

Structural Insulated Panels
Structural Insulated Panel Association

Music to listen to while reading, from my new CD "Particle" Condition x

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jim,

I didn't want to connect this way but I couldn't find your contact info. I was doing research for an article on my site when I came across your site. I must say you are one of the most consistent bloggers I have seen. Nice work. Anyhow, since it appears you really take care of your blog I wanted to let you know of a dead link located here: http://jcsande.blogspot.de/2006_07_01_archive.html The article is titled Getting Off The Grid - SIPS and the link is titled Structural Insulated Panels.

I have in essence reconstructed that article with a whole lot more. If you are going to replace that link you may want to have a look at the article I created here ( http://iaddicshelters.net/your-sip-panel-primer-the-affordable-mass-produced-house/ )

Either way, great blog and I figured you'd want to know.

Rich

Jim Sande said...

Rich - thank you. After over 10 years of this, I suspect there are many broken links on my blog. If anyone happens to come across this post, I suspect they will see your link, fascinating BTW.