Search This Blog

Monday, July 24, 2023

'If We Ever Broke Up'

Mae Stephens

I've got a lot to say about this song but I'll try to keep it short. I love this song for many reasons and I am impressed beyond usual by this new young artist who is all of 19. Musically it's in the style of many from her generation but there's a little bit more to it. You can hear it in the chorus, the hook of the song, "If we ever broke up....". It is contagious. You only need to hear it once to get it. Also I very much like the video. It's rooted in racial integration and this makes me happy. Also, there is in my opinion very little posing going on. This is about the music, it's not about someone seeking attention which we see so often.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Cool hook line. Crisp catchy production.

There are a million variations on the lopsided relationship song. Lyrically, Mae Stevens has not made the case that it's "a selfish dilemma" for the guy to want more from the relationship. What makes her run cool and/or him run hot? Curious lyricists want to know.

Jim Sande said...

I thought so too. Very catchy. There's a live version on Youtube and a stripped down acoustic version - voice and guitar too.