Search This Blog

Monday, December 23, 2013

The Market On Monday

  Good morning. It is 40 degrees and lightly raining here in Upstate NY. After a warming trend peaked on Sunday, the forecast has things turning more wintery this week. Yours truly is recovering from surgery which I had on Friday. I've got a few weeks of lazing about ahead of me. I would have to say that generally speaking I'm like everyone else in that the last thing one wants to undertake is surgery, but in my case there really was no other option if I was to resume a reasonable life. I could have elected to not have surgery and then face a life of mostly laying down to avoid pain. We are fortunate in that we do have a last resort. In some ways the biggest challenge to surgery is the anxiety, worry, and fear but these negative emotions are not good reasons to avoid a medical procedure. I did some research, I spoke with people, I found a good surgeon, and I very intently worked with relaxation techniques that are invaluable.

  At 8:00 a.m. ET futures are modestly higher and the price of oil per barrel is up. The market is poised to open higher.

  Investors are seeing very positive signs in the corporate economy and the articles are suggesting that we are not soon to see the expected correction from the QE tapering announcement. In fact there is the suggestion that we are now in another mini-rally. The thought is that the economy will grow at a pace larger than expected in 2014, tack that onto a very modest tapering of QE3 and the world looks rosy. We shall see, as we know the market is unpredictable.

CNN: Stocks: No holding back the Santa rally
...the IMF would raise its forecast for the U.S. economy, in part because Congress had struck a deal on the budget and the Federal Reserve had managed its decision to begin reducing monetary stimulus effectively.

No comments: