Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Market On Wednesday

Good morning. It is 64 degrees and cloudy with rain expected here in Upstate NY. I hope everyone is working on their posture. My visits to the chiropractor have made me more attentive to how I sit in a chair especially when I'm in front of the computer. The slouching has to stop. I was able to get in my long run yesterday afternoon, so today I will only be walking and then do some stretching. Stretching is another key - lots of stretching and good posture thank you.

At 8:15 a.m. futures are moderately lower, the dollar is mostly up against major world currencies, and the price of oil is down per barrel. The market is poised to open lower.

It would seem that investors are working under a strain of many worries today. All major global economic worries are in play. Leading the pack is Greece and exactly what will become of that country in terms of its connection to the eurozone along with how Greece's collapse will affect other eurozone countries. That is a true mess.

In case you missed it, sales of pre-existing homes in the USA came through with high grades on Tuesday. That was a boon. Today investors will see how the sale of new homes is fairing. It's pretty simple, when the housing market is flowing, the economy is flowing because in order for homes to move people must be working and spending. Hey maybe a good housing report can ameliorate what right now appears to be a poor start. We shall see.

CNN: Stocks: Focus on Greece, growth and tech
...Morgan Stanley, the lead underwriter for Facebook's initial public offering last week, (allegedly) shared a negative assessment of the social network with major clients ahead of the IPO.


...growing worries that Greece is moving closer to dropping the euro and what the contagion effects an exit might have on other economies.


...the World Bank cut its estimates for growth in the Asia-Pacific region, including China.


New home sales for the month of April...

5 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

"Stretching is another key - lots of stretching and good posture thank you." A recent study published in a new book about exercise "The First 20 mins." actually dispels the myth that all stretching is good. In fact generally speaking most stretching isn't at all good.

Jim Sande said...

Does that include?

A few years ago I was into yoga a lot, classes all that, and I felt great.

I will check out the book.

Jim Sande said...

Oops meant to write - Does that include yoga?

Jim Sande said...

GK - I spoke with my chiropractor about this today.

He told me that before one engages in something like running, it's best to start with dynamic stretching like jumping jacks and such. Then after one has completed the workout, then do static stretching.

He said that dynamic warmups prepare the body for activity, and then static stretching afterwards helps everything to relax.

Jim Sande said...

Oh and I also ordered the book.