Search This Blog

Friday, December 15, 2006

Walking



"If you are seeking creative ideas, go out walking. Angels whisper to a man when he goes for a walk." Raymond Inmon

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann

"Walks. The body advances, while the mind flutters around it like a bird." Jules Renard

"I stroll along serenely, with my eyes, my shoes my rage, forgetting everything." Pablo Neruda

"Walking by myself I hope you understand, I just want to be your lover man" Paul Butterfield


My New Years resolution will include more walking, going for more walks. I was designated as a walker in grammar school, as I was one of only a few who walked to and from school. Its one of my "titles", walker.

In Buddhism, there is even walking meditation. Don't take it from me but I believe it involves feeling the sensation of the ground meeting your foot as a point of mental focus except keep your eyes open. Sometimes they do it slowly, sometimes fast, sometimes they even run. Its an interesting practice.

Walk a mile in my shoes. Turns out its the title of songs by Elvis, Bryan Ferry, and somebody named Joe South, among others. Its a simple sentiment. One of the few that points to a method for developing a sense of empathy, at least in American terms.

Then there was "when you see me walking down the street and I start to cry, each time we meet, walk on by..." Sad song huh.

But leave on a cheery note. Its great walking weather.

Photo is Denise

No comments: