Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2016

'Crown Of Creation'

  Jefferson Airplane live on Ed Sullivan.

  I was listening to an interview from 2013 with the late Paul Kantner on WAMC this last week. Kantner said that he took inspiration from Pete Seeger and The Weavers. Kantner also said that he wanted a band that had the same three-part vocal harmony as The Weavers featuring a woman and also had a similar commitment to a political/social message in the lyrics. This song as a totality, in my opinion, does not hold up well although it is a terrific effort from twenty-something-year-old kids. But listen to the last segment, roughly the last minute, and you can hear this very charming three-part harmony section and the intention of the lyrics are in my opinion somewhat poignant. As a teenager, there was a period when I listened to The Jefferson Airplane all the time.

2 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

Actually, I think by Crown of Creation they had renamed the band Jefferson Starship.

Jim Sande said...

I don't know, the clip shows the regular line-up. I don't really know their re-incarnations. I lost track of the band around 1970.