Search This Blog

Monday, October 09, 2006

Do it


I was talking with an acquaintance about politics. They were saying that its difficult to get involved in understanding politics or to be politically active because its harsh, it sucks you in and then takes away something. They were saying it brings back various aspects of life that appear to be contrary to the spiritual aspects. Politics can make you mad and angry, real mad and angry. It can make you material bound because the fight is sometimes over the material, note: see Iraq War.

Also politics can make you feel rather unimportant. What exactly can you do anyhow. I once spoke with a friend who was upset with me for complaining about the Iraq War. I was pointing out the neo-cons, the history, the this and the that. It upset her to the core. Eventually she told me that my interest, my opinion, it was silliness, its an aspect of being over 50. She said there's something about 50 year old guys, they think they can be politicos. Finally she told me, that's why we have people in government, people who are experts, they take care of these things for us, they know what they're doing. She supports Bush and company. She has a close relative in Iraq, he's an American soldier. She's a more trusting soul than I.

I can't say why people need to become activists, become politically savvy at least. I think about it. I go over the why bother aspects, the you 'must' do this aspects, the well I'll just go so far with it aspects, et al.

Politics is fascinating. People are attracted to politicians for crazy and semi-invalid reasons, from sexual attraction or non attraction, to emotional loyalties and its opposite, to actually having a firm understanding of the issues and their meanings and implications, to pure whimsical flightiness. Its all there. Politics embraces all of that stuff and more and less. So its complex, very complex, and it grows, its life.

When you learn an instrument, at various stages you can tackle more complex music. Or you can begin to play less complicated music better. This same model applies to just about any skill I suppose, as well as politics. You learn a little bit, you understand a fraction, you apply a bit, multiplied by your lifetime.

to be continued....

Further reading: On activism

One last little bit of info:

President Bush prances to the extreme limit of any presidential poll with a 33% approval rating. Let's belligerently chuckle aloud.

Painting by Diego Rivera

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Why is it different from a Web page? Its
informative and entertaining. Like
a little newsletter. Anyhow, keep it up. Love, Joanne