Wednesday, April 08, 2026

Babies

 Dazed: Women: Please, stop acting like babies - A new wave of TikTok content is glamourising financial dependence on men – and it’s setting feminism back decades

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

“self-infantilisation as aspirational”? Sure, why not. We live in regressive times.

It’s too bad the article doesn’t address why we’re setting feminism back decades.

Jim Sande said...

I'm not following you. It's about women wanting to return to the role of homemaker, stay away from earning, and to become subservient to men AND to reject men who want to share the financial burden. What is not being expressed?

Anonymous said...

I can’t expect a short article like this to cover more than what the title implies. But I do anyway. So much of today’s ‘journalism’ is the readers digest/cliff notes version which I find very frustrating. In this case, the author covers exactly what she needs to, but it’s merely an updated 1970s description of women relinquishing their power to men. “….feminists have warned for a very long time, relying on a male partner to fund your life is a slippery slope to abuse and coercion…. dangerous…notion that women should just give up and lean in to being infantilised dependants…” etc.
The important substantive issue, in my opinion, is why as a society in 2026, have we backpedaled to this place?
I reiterate, It’s unfair to expect this to be even mentioned here, but that is part of our collective problem.

Jim Sande said...

I can speculate on your question. Its the web. It's the proliferation of video clips with women earning money through tic tok and only fans and such, through showing skin. It's huge, doesn't require any education, etc., and it's a model on how to exist in our modern era.

Anonymous said...

Sure, there are plenty of “models“ on how to exist as a woman in our modern era. Showing skin has got to top the list of what might be called easy money.
But how does that relate to being subservient to a man?

Jim Sande said...

Because the only fans people are modeling the behavior for a wider audience of both men and women. The audience sees the woman on only fans and they want that. The men want a woman who will act like the only fans woman, and the women see a potential role model. I'm not saying this explains it, it's simply a piece of a larger issue. Also thinking about it now, there's this rush for some young men to be 'alpha' males. This is a big part of maga. These guys want the subservient women and some women are happy to oblige.

Anonymous said...

I see the babies/alpha/only fans stuff as symptoms of a bigger disease permeates our society. That's where my "why" questions come from - a desire for a dialog about the bigger picture.

Jim Sande said...

Lay it out, what is the bigger disease?

Anonymous said...

I’m not holding out on you. If I could simply articulate why we are living in surreal times, I would.