Monday, June 16, 2025

Steely Dan - 'The Last Mall'

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This album has genius stuff. If you don't know 'em, check out:
• Godwacker
• Things I Miss The Most
• Everything Must Go

Jim Sande said...

A friend sent me this one and I liked it. Interesting band.

Anonymous said...

Am I to believe that you're just now introduced to Steely Dan?

Jim Sande said...

The first time I read William S. Burroughs was probably around 1972 or 73.

Anonymous said...

I never read Burroughs, but know their name is taken directly from 'Naked Lunch'.

Your first comment made me wonder and I am seriously asking if you are familiar with their initial body of work from '72 - '80.

Jim Sande said...

Yes Mark, I heard them way back when and many many many many times since. Steely Dan was the name given to a dildo used by what Burroughs called, 'a bull dyke'.

Anonymous said...

A band named after a dildo in 1971 was cool & shocking. Much of their music remains cool and shocking to me, both as a songwriter and observer of pop culture. YMMV.