Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Old House


We painted the entrance way in the morning.

Then we went to help move the meditation group to a new location, a lot of heavy lifting.

Back home we installed new ceiling light fixtures.

Then onto the tiling. I dragged out the old Felker wet saw, and I must say this is one of my favorite tools.

And voila, we tiled the entrance way. We used Italian porcelain tiles of the large variety roughly 13" by 13". The tiles were left over from a job I did about 4 or 5 years ago. Yes, the image is the new tile job.

We still have to grout the tile and do the trim work but we are almost there.

And now I am tired. Its non stop with an old house, working on it seven days a week.

6 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

Tell me about. I own an 80 yr. old house built on sand. It's Dutch colonial style with plaster and lath walls and it's built with real kiln dried 4X6's and oak floors downstairs and Red Georgia pine floors upstairs. I've lived here 31 yrs. The house is always moving and shifting and cracking. The outside is Cedar Shake and the house is 100% wood so it has to be painted every 6 to 7 yrs. I've painted it myself twice and the inside 3 times. I'm frankly sick of it and getting to old to keep this up. To have others do it is ruinous anymore. The house will sadly be torn down 5 mins after I sell it. The land is where all the value is now. The people buying homes on this Island are all second home buyers and they for the most part hate old homes , preferring new McMansions for their Hummers and Mercedes to park in front of.

Jim Sande said...

Sounds nice, does it have a gambrel roof?

When you say built on sand, does it have a deep foundation?

Actually it sounds very nice.

Ours was built in 1836 and is a colonial as well. We have a breeze way to a garage on a nice plot about 1/2 an acre.

I couldn't do anything here if I had to job it all out. We did hire a roofer, electrician, and termite guy. But now its mostly all up to me. I just hope I can stay healthy for about 5 years.

Glynn Kalara said...

What is a gambrel roof? The foundation isn't all that deep and it doesn't even have a center line of concrete. They set the center posts on concrete block.

Jim Sande said...

It a roof line that comes down through part of the second floor while some of it stays higher, its a feature on some Dutch colonials - very cool.

Glynn Kalara said...

Yes it has such a roof. I'll send u a pic. of it.

Jim Sande said...

OK