Search This Blog

Thursday, November 09, 2017

PSA Me

  This is all true, and here's my story from yours truly.

  Back in January 2017, blood tests revealed that my PSA numbers were rising to a point where the urologist wanted me to have a biopsy. Three months later, following recommendations from a book on how to lower my PSA numbers, a second blood test revealed that my numbers increased again. Once again I stalled, not wanting to go through a biopsy and in part wanting to see if I could somehow fix the problem so to speak.

  I immediately went to work with a functional medicine oncologist. An oncologist is a doctor who specializes in cancer treatment. The functional part is a doctor who is trained in natural remedies like dietary changes, supplements, lifestyle changes, etc.

  After a month of working with the functional medicine oncologist, a third blood test revealed that my PSA numbers were just slightly above normal. I was elated thinking that I had found the answer to my problem. That answer was a very restricted diet, rich in things like soy, certain mushrooms, Brazil nuts, etc etc etc. and not eating sugar, dairy food, and several other things. I lost about 15 pounds, reverting to my high school weight. In addition, I had to exercise regularly, so I got into good shape truthfully, a little weight training too. I'm looking buff for an old guy.

  Here’s the rub, a fourth blood test a month later showed the PSA numbers rising again. A fifth blood test a month later revealed the PSA numbers rising even more. At that point the functional medicine oncologist also recommended the biopsy. I was deflated. It looked like I was in for prostate cancer, surgery, loss of sexual function, all of that.

  I set up the appointment to have the biopsy. The biopsy procedure itself was relatively quick, and yes it was uncomfortable, but not overly painful. It is doable. The urologist took twelve samples of my prostate. Yes there are some effects from the biopsy including blood in your urine for about week, that was my experience. You also feel like you’ve been punched low in the abdomen if you know what I mean. But you do heal.

  It takes four weeks or so to get results. My urologist works with an outfit that is reliable.

  I got the results today, and I am clear. I do not have cancer.

  Is there a lesson here for someone? I don’t know but I will say this, I probably could have spared myself a lot of grief by having the biopsy done right from the get go. I was headstrong and determined to fix the problem myself. Along the way, I did learn a lot about nutrition that really does work for me at this stage in my life, This is true. But generally speaking, if asked to get the damn biopsy, you’ll live through it. Do it. It’s done very efficiently and you’ll know, one way or the other. Right now I’m clear but if I need to go through it again I will.

2 comments:

Glynn Kalara said...

Thanks for the advice Jim. Heading there myself soon enough. Been on the slowly rising and falling PSA roller coaster for years and my Dad had Prostate Cancer so I know I'm at risk. Such is life in your 60's. The parts start failing. but were lucky that we live in an age of medical miracles.

Jim Sande said...

Glenn, if there's a way you can swing it, see a functional medicine oncologist. That's a rarity but they will tell you all kinds of things that can help. Good luck. There's one up here and it costs a pretty penny, but it's worth it.